Current Affairs in Short: 19 March 2020
Ashwani Lohani becomes chairman of Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation
• The Andhra Pradesh government has appointed Ashwani Lohani, the former chairman and managing director (CMD) of Air India as chairman of the state’s Tourism Development Corporation.
• Ashwani Lohani has also been given the status of a cabinet minister in the Andhra Pradesh government. This appointment has been made for one year.
• Earlier, Ashwani Lohani was also the CMD of the India Tourism Development Corporation and the Chairman of the Railway Board.
Arundhati Bhattacharya appointed Salesforce India CEO
• Former SBI chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya will be the CEO of Salesforce India. Arundhati Bhattacharya will take over as Chairman and CEO of Salesforce India in April 2020.
• Salesforce India is among the top companies of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software worldwide. Arundhati Bhattacharya is also currently working as an independent director at Wipro.
• Arundhati Bhattacharya left the post of chairperson of SBI in the year 2017. After this, Bhattacharya has worked as a director in seven Indian companies. She has worked in Ajay Piramal-led Piramal Enterprises Ltd and Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries also.
Uttarakhand ends reservation in promotions
• Uttarakhand Government has issued a notice to end quota in promotions for SC/ST employees. This will benefit about 30,000 employees. The employees have ended the indefinite strike after the issuance of these orders.
• Trivendra Rawat government has taken this big decision on completion of three years of his government. Apart from this, the state government has also removed the ban on promotion.
• The order said that the government has abolished the ban on promotion which was imposed on September 11, 2019.
ADB announces USD 6.5 bn package for developing countries
• The Asian Development Bank (ADB) on March 18, 2020, announced a USD 6.5 billion package for its developing member countries to tackle the Coronavirus pandemic.
• A preliminary package has been announced for immediate assistance to developing member countries because of the Coronavirus pandemics. The Asian Development Bank is headquartered in Manila.
• The bank works for sustainable development and poverty alleviation in Asia and the Pacific. ADB said that Coronavirus has become a major global problem. This requires concrete steps at national, regional and global levels.
Indian Railways announced additional measures to prevent Covid-19
• Indian railways have cancelled 155 pairs of low booking trains to discourage non-passenger travel and overcrowding of trains as a precautionary measure.
• Indian railways also issued an advisory to passengers to avoid non-essential train travel and to ensure that they don’t have a fever while starting the journey. If at any point in the journey, the passenger feels that he is getting a fever, he can contact the railway staff for medical care and further assistance.
• A regular announcement of ‘what to do’ and ‘what not to do’ is being made on the Public Declaration System in the trains and at the platforms.