Current Affairs in Short: 26 March 2020
Scientists have developed MACS 4028, a biofortified high-protein wheat variety. This research is published in the Indian Journal of Genetics.
Indian scientists developed bio-fortified variety of wheat with high protein
- Scientists have developed MACS 4028, a biofortified high-protein wheat variety. This research is published in the Indian Journal of Genetics. It is resistant to many pests and diseases as compared to the normal wheat varieties.
- This new wheat variety has 14.7% better nutritional quality, 40.3 ppm iron content and higher milling quality. This variety matures in 102 days. It has a high yield potential of 19.3 quintal per hectare.
- MACS 4028 has been supported by UNICEF to reduce malnutrition in India. This new wheat variety will help promote India’s ‘Vision 2022’.
Veteran photographer and Padma Shri recipient Nemai Ghosh passed away
- Renowned photographer Nemai Ghosh, who worked with film director Satyajit Rai, died in a hospital in the city recently.
- Nemai’s photographer son Satyaki Ghosh said that he was admitted to the SSKM hospital a few days ago, where he died of cardiac arrest. Ghosh was suffering from age-related ailments for the last few years.
- Nemai Ghosh was a noted Indian photographer most known for working with Satyajit Ray, as a still photographer for over two decades, starting with Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne till Ray’s last film Agantuk.
Cabinet approves recapitalization of Regional Rural Banks
- Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) will be given minimum regulatory capital to maintain a ‘Capital-Risk Weighted Assets Ratio of 9%, as specified in the regulatory norms specified by the Reserve Bank of India.
- The CCEA has also approved the use of Rs 670 crore (ie 50% of the total recapitalization support of Rs 1340 crore) as part of the central government’s fund for the recapitalization scheme of RRBs.
- Based on the status of RRB’s CRAR as on 31 March every year, the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) identifies RRBs that need recapitalization assistance to maintain a mandatory 9% CRAR.
International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members
- ‘International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members’ is observed on 25 March every year. Since the inception of the United Nations in 1945, hundreds of brave men and women have lost their lives in its service.
- The day commemorates Alec Colette’s abduction. He was a former journalist working for the United Nations Relief and Construction Agency for Palestine Refugees.
- In 1985, he was abducted by armed gunmen. His body was finally found in 2009 in the Bekaa Valley of Lebanon.
Indian scientists developed a hive for beekeepers to maintain quality and hygiene of honey
- Indian scientists have developed a hive for beekeepers, which can be easy to maintain as well as help in maintaining the quality and hygiene of honey. The specialty of this hive is that honey can be collected without tampering with its frame and bees.
- Traditionally honey is obtained from the hive with the help of a honey extractor, causing hygiene problems. In this newly developed honeycomb, honey can be obtained by turning the key downwards on the filled honey frame.
- Scientists from the Central Scientific Instruments Organization (CSIO), Chandigarh and the Himalayan Institute of Bio-safety Technology (IHBT), Palampur have developed this new hive by improving the traditional hive used in beekeeping.
Download our Current Affairs & GK app For exam preparation
डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐप एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए