First case confirmed in national capital, another in Telangana; Check basic protective measures
Coronavirus in Delhi: First positive case of Coronavirus or COVID-19 was reported in New Delhi on March 2, 2020. The Ministry of Health issued a press release confirming the same.
Overall, two cases of the deadly coronavirus have been reported in India- one in the national capital and the second in Telangana.
The statement from the Ministry of Health read that one positive case of coronavirus has been detected in Delhi and one has been detected in Telangana.
Coronavirus in India: Latest Updates
The patient, who was tested positive of coronavirus in Delhi, reportedly has travel history from Italy.
The second confirmed coronavirus case has travel history from Dubai.
Both patients are being monitored closely and reported to be stable.
Coronavirus Precautions: How to protect yourself from COVID-19?
Following are some basic protective measures that WHO has issued for the public to protect themselves and others from novel coronavirus:
1. Wash hands frequently: Clean your hands regularly with either soap and water or hand sanitizer. Regular and thorough cleaning of hands will kill the virus that may be on them.
2. Do not touch eyes, mouth or nose: Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, especially when you are outside as hands come in contact with many surfaces and can pick up the virus. Once hands are contaminated, they can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth, from where it can enter your body and infect you.
3. Maintain 3 feet distance from others: Ensure that you maintain at least 3 feet or 1 metre distance from those who are coughing or sneezing, as the moist particles that come out from their nose or mouth at that time may contain the virus if the person is infected and can infect you as well.
4. Cover your mouth and nose/ wear a mask: Make sure that you cover your nose or mouth with either a tissue, handkerchief or bent elbow when you sneeze or cough. Throw the tissue immediately into the dustbin after using. This way you will protect yourself and those around you. You can also wear a mask to avoid inhaling any droplet infected with the virus.
5. Seek medical care for fever, cough: If you have difficulty in breathing or have fever or cough, seek medical help immediately. Avoid travelling, especially in public transport if you are feeling unwell. You can call your national or local health authorities to be directed to the right medical facility. It will help protect you and prevent the spread of COVID-19 and other viruses.